In the first part of our guide to the best walking route planners we reviewed five websites which offer hiking routes throughout the UK. The were:
www.countrywalkingroutes.co.uk / www.trailroutes.com
(now rebranded on www.livefortheoutdoors.com)
Region Specific Walking Route Planners
In this, the second part of the Guide to the Best Walking Route Planners we have reviewed five websites which each cover a specific walking region within the UK. The reviews will be posted over the next week or so. The hiking websites that will be featured are as follows:
www.walkhighlands.co.uk – Has lots of walking routes across of Scotland and not just the Scottish Highlands.
www.walkingnorthwales.co.uk – Covers Snowdonia, Anglesey, the North Wales coast and borders.
www.walkni.com – Features hikes in all the counties that make up Northern Ireland and also includes the Northern Ireland Way long distance trail.
www.walkit.com – The Urban Route Planner for planning footpath based walking routes in UK Cities.
www.lakedistrictwalks.com – Possibly the finest guide to walks in The Lake District.
The criteria by which the walking guide websites have been evaluated, are as follows:
- Ease of choosing a route and searching on the walking website
- Grading of the walk in terms of fitness level and technical difficulty required
- Navigational detail within the description of the walk
- Additional information about points of interest along the walking route
- Are there any maps showing the walk, or GPS waypoints
- Photographic content
- Information about services such as pubs and tea rooms along the route
- Amount of advertising on the website
We are always interested to know what our readers think. If you have used the walking route planner in the review please feel free to share your opinion by adding your comments!