The Mountain Equipment Kongur is one of the best waterproof jackets for mountain use available. Fact!
A bargain too at: £233.99 (RRP £260)
The features of the Mountain Equipment Kongur are truly phenomenal. This jacket is made from the latest Pro Shell fabric from GORE, and designed based on feedback from professional day-in-day-out tests.
The Mountain Equipment Kongur is perfect for the worst conditions imaginable, totally tough, totally weatherproof in the worst Cairngorm storm, at home or on any serious mountaineering trip, and the only waterproof jacket ever to win with a score of 50/50 in Trail Magazine’s famous Ultimate Waterproof test.
Mountain Equipment Kongur Specifications:
- The 3-Layer GORE-TEX® Pro Shell Ascender fabric gives great durability and breathability in the way it waterproofs.
- The superb longer cut waterproof jacket provides exceptional protection combined with total freedom of movement- this is one of the most underestimated aspects of most waterproof shells – good fit is vital.
- Award winning Stealth hood with laminated wired peak and hidden one pull adjusters, keeps you shut off from the elements and focussed on the job at hand, tackling that mountain.
- The Stealth hood and collar also features NEW larger bonded fleece chin guard, improved fit around the neck and one pull volume adjuster. Moves with the head whether or not the user is wearing a mountain or climbing helmet and provides total protection from the elements and maximum comfort.
- Slim double centre storm flaps to shut out the weather.
- Narrow water resistant pocket zips offer increased weather protection and resistance from abrasion – less there to catch on things.
- Underarm pit zips for total ventilation and comfort without over exposure to the elements.
- 2 large chest pockets can be used whilst wearing a rucksack or harness.
- 2 external map pockets allows hidden access to stored items.
- NEW dual hem shockcord system to prevent snagging, and allows versatile access to the jacket via the hem (for climbing chalk bags, belts or tools that are stored away under the hem, etc). Drawcords at waist and hem are tethered and concealed. The waist is pulled in by a half drawcord and gives the jacket a clean front.
- Adjust the cuff size perfectly to your wrist with the rubber cuff grabs to reduce exposure to the rain and loss of heat.
We have long advertised the quality of this jacket, highlighting it’s success in Trail Magazine:
The Kongur ProShell Fabric jacket is the only jacket ever to win with a score of 50/50 in Trail Magazine’s famous Ultimate Waterproof test, making this the closest thing yet to a perfect waterproof jacket.
But a recent Trail Verdict has continued to push this as the ultimate choice for mountain adventures, even challenging other manufacturers to step up to the mark:
The Mountain Equipment Kongur has been around for a few years now, and it regularly wins Trail’s winter jackets test as no-one has come up with anything better (come on, guys!).
Review by Graham Thompson
If I was going to suggest a challenger at this grade of winter waterproof jacket that sustains some serious level of outdoor sports or activity, I might go for the Lowe Alpine Chamonix (also in Gore-Tex Pro Shell) and a 2008 favourite, or the fantastically styled Berghaus Temperance waterproof jacket, also in Gore-Tex Pro Shell. I think these just might be good contenders…what do you think?