With the UK climate being what it is summer doesn’t mean that you can forget about leaving your waterproof jacket at home when you go out for a walk on the hills. We all know that in the UK the weather can change at the drop of a hat, so we’ve rounded up some of the best lightweight summer waterproof jackets for you.
Mountain Equipment Axion
The Mountain Equipment Axion Jacket is an extremely light, fully waterproof shell, which ideal for people counting every gram in their pack. The Axion is breathable and is cut for ease of movement and comfort which makes it perfect for fell runners and adventure racers.
The ME Axion Jacket is made from Drilite Ultra fabric which is a fully waterproof and breathable fabric, it does not quite have the breathability performance of a membrane but is comfortable enough to be worn next to skin unless perspiring heavily with the jacket fully closed. The fabric is also extremely light and when combined with a minimalist design ensures that this jacket is one of the lightest and most packable on the market.
Mountain Equipment Axion Features
- Stealth-Lite hood is fully waterproof with minimum bulk and weight.
- Waterproof construction throughout.
- Single chest pocket with water resistant zip.
- Cut for freedom of movement.
- Adjustable hem drawcord.
- Lycra cuffs with thumb loops.
- Supplied with stuffsack.
- Weight – 265g
The Sprayway Hydrolite uses a two way stretch fabric that allows plenty of movement for almost any outdoor sport. The hood for the Sprayway Hydrolite fits well, has a good peak and is removable which means it won’t get in your way. The front zip has a double stormflap along with map-sized chest pockets.
A versatile, lightweight and highly breathable summer waterproof jacket for the mountain sports enthusiast.
Sprayway Hydrolite Features
- Hydro/dry flex fabric
- Removable ZAP hood with volume adjuster and stiffened wire peak
- Articulated sleeves for unrestricted movement
- Two laser cut chest pockets with water resistant zips, mesh lined for venting
- One internal mesh security pocket, will accommodate ZAP hood
- Single hand cord adjustable drawcords at hood and hem
- Lightweight coil zip with double storm flap
- stuff sack
- Weight: 510g
The lightweight Berghaus Skyline jacket combines high performance with durability. The diamond pattern on the inside increases comfort next-to-skin without reducing breathability. The multifunctional active cut with added ventilation make this an ideal all round summer jacket which packs down small when not in use.
Berghaus Skyline Features
- AQUAFOIL® Light technology offers perfect lightweight waterproof breathable protection during summer showers.
- Fixed hood with volume adjuster and stiffened peak.
- Core ventilation zips for temperature management during high aerobic activity.
- Weight: 396g
All these jackets are perfect for multi-activity summer use, if I had to pick a favourite it would be the Mountain Equipment Axion with its tiny pack size, incredibly lightweight and great cut. It might not have as many features as the other summer waterproof jackets but as something small, light and breathable which will keep you dry and let you stay active throughout the summer its perfect.